Alan Reese - On Leave
- Associate Professor, Department of History
- St. Thomas More College
- 1437 College Drive Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W6
- Phone: 306.966.8992
|Education | Research Interests | Research Projects | Selected Publications|
Teaching Responsibilities | Administrative Responsibilities
- Ph.D. (History) University of Saskatchewan (1992)
- M.A. (Medieval Studies) University of Toronto (1985)
- M.Ed. (Educational Foundations: History of Education) University of Alberta (1984)
- B.Ed. (Secondary Education: History and Religion) University of Alberta (1982)
- B.A. (Classics and Religious Studies) University of Alberta (1980)
- The History of Spirituality and Mysticism in the Middle Ages and Renaissance
- Educational and Intellectual History from Late Antiquity to the Renaissance
- The spirituality of Erasmus of Rotterdam (1466-1536)
- “Sad is the Fasting According to the Law:” Erasmus on the problem of religious fasting in the late middle ages [article in progress]
- “Wise and Foolish Virgins;” Erasmus on the Significance of the religious life of contemporary nuns [article in progress]
- I continue to work on Erasmus’ theological anthropology and its relation to his reform of ascetic life
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Reese, Alan W. "What to do with a Solitary?" in 'Bush Dweller': Memories of Fr James Gray, OSB, Muenster, Saskatchewan: St Peter's Press, 2010.
- Reese, Alan W. "Beyond the Spirit of Fear: Celebration of the Fruits of Interreligious Dialogue in the Renewal of Catholic Contemplative Prayer" in In Media Res - A Liberal Arts Journal, Spring Issue 2009.
- Bergen, A., Sax, D., and, Reese, A.W. "Discovering God in New Ways" in Catholic Missions in Canada. Winter 2008 (Toronto).
- Reese, Alan W. Review Article of : Origen, Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, tr. Thomas P. Schenk Fathers of the Church vols 103 and 104 (Washington, D.C.) Erasmus of Rotterdam Society Yearbook Vol 23 (2003).
- Reese, Alan W. "'So Outstanding an Athlete of Christ': Erasmus and the Significance of Jerome's Asceticism," The Erasmus of Rotterdam Society Yearbook 18 (1998) 104-17.
- Reese, Alan W. "Learning Virginity: Erasmus' Ideal of Christian Marriage," Bibliothèque d'humanisme et renaissance 57.3 (1995) 551-67.
- 100 Level (introductory) The Medieval World (History 111.3 T2)
- 200 Level courses: Byzantine Empire (History 215.6); Early Medieval Europe (History 202.3); Europe and the World in the High Middles Ages (History 205.3)
- 300 level biographical seminar on a particular medieval author such as St John Cassian, St Benedict, St Gregory the Great, or St Augustine
- 400 level seminars on topics such as Late Antiquity, the Age of Bede in the Anglo-Saxon Renaissance, Erasmus of Rotterdam
- STM Corporation’s Committee for the Review and Appointment of the President