Charles Smith, Sabbatical Leave July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017
- Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Political Studies
- St. Thomas More College
- 1437 College Drive Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W6
|Education | Research Interests | Research Projects | Selected Publications|
Teaching Responsibilities | Administrative Responsibilities
- B.A. (UNBC)
- M.A. (York)
- PhD. (York)
- Canadian Provincial Politics in the age of Globalization
- Organized Labour and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Law, Politics and Collective Bargaining in Canada
- Edited Book on the Canadian Provinces
- Book on the Courts, Labour and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Insight Development Grant, awarded by SSHRC, September 1 until September 1, 2014.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- "Public Sector Unions and Electoral Policies in Canada." (with Larry Savage) In The Politics of the Public Sector Unions, edited by Stephanie Ross and Larry Savage. Halifax: Fernwood, 2013.
- "The Politics of Transparency and Independence before Administrative Boards," (with Lorne Sossin) Saskatchewan Law Review Volume 75 (1), (Forthcoming March 2012).
- ""The courts have seldom been the worker's friend": Labour, courts and the erosion of workers' freedoms in Canada," in Stephanie Ross and Larry Savage eds., The Politics of Labour in Canada (Halifax: Fernwood) (Forthcoming).
- "The "New Normal" in Saskatchewan: Neoliberalism and the Challenge to Workers Rights," in David McGrane ed., New Directions in Saskatchewan Public Policy (Regina: Canadian Plains Research Center) (Forthcoming 2012).
- "Labour, the Courts and the Canadian State," Paper presented to the workshop on the Politics of Labour Workshop, York University, Toronto, Ontario April 15-16, 2011.
- "Labour, the Courts and the Canadian State: Putting the "Labour Rights" Debate in Historical Context," Paper Presented to the United Association of Labour Educators Annual Conference, "Unfinished Business: Workers' Rights for the Next Generation" New Orleans, Louisiana March 24-26, 2011.
- "Neo-Liberalizing the Ontario State: Structure, Power and Paradoxes," (with Bryan Evans) Canadian Political Science Association (Concordia University, June 1-3, 2010).
- "Employment Relations and the Ontario Liberals, 2003-2009."Canadian Political Science Annual General Meeting (Carleton University, May 27-29, 2009).
- "The Politics of the Ontario Labour Relations Act: Business, Labour, and Government in the Consolidation of Post-War Industrial Relations, 1949-1961," Labour/Le Travail 62 (Fall 2008), 109-151.
- INTS 400.3: Social Justice and the Common Good
- POLS 303.3: Public Law in Canada
- POLS 304.3: Democracy and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- POLS 362.3: Global Political Economy
- Professional/Community Service Committee