- End of life issues in long-term care
- Behavioural support in long-term care
- Stigma and personhood in dementia
- Psychological interventions to promote health and quality of life
- B.A. (Honours) University of Regina
- M.A. University of Regina
- Ph.D. (Clinical Psychology) University of Regina
An Inside Look: Exploring the Experiences of Healthcare Employees During the COVID-19 Pandemic
We are currently looking for healthcare employee volunteers to take part in a study of Saskatchewan healthcare employees’ work experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a participant in this study, you will be asked to complete an anonymous online survey. The survey will ask about your perceptions of your workplace, experience with end of life issues, and experiences of resident deaths during the pandemic. It will take about 10-20 minutes depending on your occupation and your experience of the pandemic.
You can access the survey and further details about the study here: https://ca1se.voxco.com/SE/?st=Dxv7xrOs%2ByUSs3sB9u0DHVtqRwjkVgaYmCgrUN%2FUFmo%3D In appreciation of your time, you can choose to enter a draw for a credit card gift card.
We encourage you to complete the survey 3 times (in September, December, and March) to help us understand how work experiences change over time.
Selected Publications and Presentations
Underlined = student contributor
- Hunter, P. V., Thorpe, L., Hounjet, C. & Hadjistavropoulos, T. "Using Normalization Process Theory to evaluate the implementation of Montessori-based volunteer visits within a Canadian long-term care home." The Gerontologist 60, no. 1 (2020): 182-192. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gny103
- Kaasalainen, K., Hunter, P. V., Dal Bello-Haas, V., Dolovich, L., Froggatt, K., Hadjistavropoulos, T., Markle-Reid, M., Ploeg, J., Simard, J., Thabane, L., van der Steen, J. T. & Volicer, L. (2020). Evaluating the feasibility and acceptability of the Namaste Care program in long-term care settings in Canada. Pilot and Feasibility Studies. 6(1): 1-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40814-020-00575-4
- Potter, G. K., Hunter, P. V., & Morrison, T. G. (2020). Dispositional Mindfulness in Irritable Bowel Syndrome: the Mediating Role of Symptom Interference and Self-Compassion. Mindfulness, 11(2), 462-471. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12671-019-01282-9
- Kaasalainen, S., Sussman, T., McCleary, L., Thompson, G., Hunter, P.V., Wickson-Griffiths, A., Cook, R., Dal-Bello Haas, V., Hill, C., Venturato, L., Papaioannou, A., You, J., & Parker, D. (2019). A stakeholder analysis of the strengthening a palliative approach in long term care model. Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership. 32(3): 27-39. http://dx.doi.org/10.12927/cjnl.2019.25974
- Malik, H., Fick, F., Dal Bello Haas, V., Hunter, P., & Kaasalainen, S. (2019). Fall prevention program characteristics and experiences of older adults and program providers in Canada: A Thematic Content Analysis. Journal of Applied Gerontology. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0733464819874600
- Hill, C., Duggleby, W., Venturato, L., Durepos, P., Kulasegaram, P., Hunter, P.V., McCleary, L., Sussman, T., Thompson, G., Surtees, D., Wickson-Griffiths, A., Kaasalainen, S. (2019). An Analysis of Documents Guiding Palliative Care in Five Canadian Provinces. Canadian Journal on Aging. 38(3): 1-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0714980818000594
- Smith-MacDonald, L., Venturato, L., Hunter, P.V., Kaasalainen, S., Sussman, T., McCleary, L., Thompson, G., Wickson-Griffiths, A., & Sinclair, S. (2019). Perspectives and experiences of compassion in long-term care facilities within Canada: A Qualitative Study of Patients, Family Members and Health Care Providers. BMC Geriatrics, 19, 128-140. Open access provided through funding from CIHR: https://rdcu.be/bAHnH
- Hunter, P.V., McCleary, L., Akhtar-Danesh, N., Goodridge, D., Hadjistavropoulos, T., Kaasalainen, S., Sussman, T., Thompson, G., Venturato, L., & Wickson-Griffiths, A. Mind the gap: Is the Canadian long-term care workforce ready for a palliative care mandate? Ageing & Society. Open access provided through funding from CIHR & SHRF: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X18001629
- Thompson, G., Kaasalainen, S., Sussman, T., McCleary, L., Venturato, L., Hunter, P.V., Wickson-Griffiths. (2018). “Who would want to die like that?”: Perspectives on dying alone. Death Studies, 1-12. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07481187.2018.1491484
- McCleary, L., Thompson, G., Venturato, L., Wickson-Griffiths, A, Hunter, P.V., Sussman, T., & Kaasalainen, S. (2018). Meaningful connections in dementia end of life care in long term care homes. BMC Psychiatry, 18, 307-317. Open access sponsored by St. Thomas More College's Publication Grant: https://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12888-018-1882-9
- Hunter, P.V., Delbaere, M., O’Connell, M.E., Cammer, A., Seaton, J.X., Friedrich, T., & Fick, F. A Review of Internet-Based Information about the Role of Lifestyle in Cognitive Health: Did They Get it Right? BMC Geriatrics, 17, 125-139. Open access sponsored by St. Thomas More College's Publication Grant: https://bmcgeriatr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12877-017-0515-3
- Duff, W., Haskey, N., Potter, G., Alcorn, J., Hunter, P.V., & Fowler, S. (2018). Non- pharmacological therapies for inflammatory bowel disease: Recommendations for self-care and physician guidance. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 24 (28). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6064965/pdf/WJG-24-3055.pdf
- Friedrich, T., Hunter, P.V., & Elias, L. (2018 e-publication). The trajectory of pseudoneglect in adults: A systematic review. Neuropsychology Review. Please access a free copy of this article at: https://rdcu.be/bbNFs
- Hunter, P.V., Kaasalainen, S., Froggatt, K., Ploeg, J., Dolovich, L., Simard, J. & Salsali, M. (2017) Using the Ecological Framework to Identify Barriers and Enablers to Implementing Namaste Care in Canada’s Long-term Care System. Annals of Palliative Medicine, 6(4), 340-353. Invited by Dr. L. Volicer, special issue editor. http://apm.amegroups.com/article/viewFile/15630/15666
- Hadjistavropoulos, T., Williams, J., Kaasalainen, S., Hunter, P.V., Savoie, M. & Wickson-Griffiths, A. (2016). Increasing the frequency and timeliness of pain assessment and management in long-term care: Knowledge transfer and sustained implementation. Pain Research and Management.
- Hunter, P.V., Hadjistavropoulos, T., Thorpe, L., Lix, L. & Malloy, D.C. (2016) The influence of individual and organizational factors on person-centred dementia care. Aging & Mental Health, 20 (7), 700-708. (Invited contribution to a special issue on person-centred care.)
- Hunter, P.V., Hadjistavropoulos, T., & Kaasalainen, S. (2016). A qualitative study of nursing assistants’ awareness of person-centred approaches to dementia care. Ageing & Society, 36 (6), 1211-1237.
- Goodridge, D., Quinlan, E., Venne, R., Hunter, P.V., & Surtees, D. (2013). Planning for serious illness by the general public: A population-based survey. ISRN Family Medicine.
- Hunter, P.V., Hadjistavropoulos, T., Smythe, W., Malloy, D., Kaasalainen, S., & Williams, J. (2013). The Personhood in Dementia Questionnaire (PDQ): Establishing an association between beliefs about personhood and health providers’ approaches to person-centred care. Journal of Aging Studies, 27 (3), 276–287.
- Ghandehari, O. O., Hadjistavropoulos, T., Williams, J., Thorpe, L., Alfano, D. P., Dal Bello Haas, V., Malloy, D. C., Martin. R. R., Rahaman, O., Zwakhalen, S. M. G., Carleton, R. N., Hunter, P.V., & Lix, L. (2012). A controlled investigation of continuing pain education for long-term care staff. Pain Research and Management, 18 (1),11-18.
- Dever Fitzgerald, T., Hunter, P.V., Hadjistavropoulos, T., & Koocher, G. P. (2010). Ethical and Legal Considerations for Internet-Based Psychotherapy. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 39 (3), 173–187.
- Hadjistavropoulos, T., Hunter, P.V., & Dever Fitzgerald, T. (2009). Pain Assessment in Older Adults: Conceptual Issues and Clinical Challenges. Canadian Psychology, 50 (4), 241- 254.
- Hunter, P.V. & Antony, M.M. (2009). Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Emetophobia: The Role of Interoceptive Exposure. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 16, 84-91.
- PSY 120.3 (Biological and Cognitive Bases of Psychology)
- PSY 121.3 (Social, Clinical, Cultural and Developmental Bases of Psychology)
- PSY 216.3 (Psychology of Aging)
- PSY 858.3 (Ethics in Clinical Psychology)
- Member, Canadian Psychological Association Committee on Ethics (2014-)
- Founding Member, Saskatchewan LTC Network (2020-)
- Vice President, St. Thomas More College Faculty Union, University of Saskatchewan (2020-)
- Secretary, St. Thomas More College Faculty Union, University of Saskatchewan (2019-2020)
- Department Head, Psychology, St. Thomas More College (2018-2019)
- Research Committee, St. Thomas More College (2014-2017)
- Member, Clinical Executive Committee, Department of Psychology, University of Saskatchewan (2011-2019)
- Corresponding Member, Clinical Executive Committee, Department of Psychology, University of Saskatchewan (2019-)