Families, family formation and couple formation
Intimate relationships and relationship advice
Representations of gender in popular culture
Self-help, experts and advice-seeking
- Ph.D., University of Toronto
- M.A., University of Toronto
- B. Soc.Sci. (Honours), University of Ottawa
- "Experiences of disability and intimate relationship formation in modestly and under-resourced communities." SSHRC Insight Development Grant, 2019-2021
- "Talking about support: Encouraging perspective-taking and financial management skills for families during the university and college years." Canadian Home Economics Foundation Grant, 2018-2019
- “Mapping supports and constraints in young women's transition to adulthood in the context of a rapidly changing Prairie city.” SSHRC Insight Development Grant, 2014-2016
- Relationship self-help and social change in North America
- Dating: Choices, constraints and expert advice
- Transition to adulthood: Resources, goals and couple formation
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Knudson, Sarah and Denise Hahn (Eds.). [Forthcoming] Committing Sociology: Critical Perspectives on our Social World. Toronto: Pearson.
- Knudson, Sarah. 2018. "Exploring Engagement with Non-Fiction Collections: Sociological Perspectives." Collection and Curation 37(2): 43-49.
- Knudson, Sarah. 2017. “Seeking Intimacy, Forming Families.” In Continuity and Innovation: Canadian Families in the New Millennium (1st Edition), edited by Amber Gazso and Karen Kobayashi. Toronto: Nelson.
- Knudson, Sarah. 2016. “A Good Match? Offline Matchmaking Services and Implications for Gender Relations.” Marriage & Family Review. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01494929.2016.1247764
- Knudson, Sarah. 2014. “Getting Laid and Growing Close: Constructions of Masculinity in Relationship Advice for Heterosexual Men.” Qualitative Sociology Review 10(3): 116-137.
- Knudson, Sarah. 2013. “Crash courses and lifelong journeys: Modes of reading non-fiction advice in a North American audience.” Poetics 41(3): 211-235.
- Charlesworth, Jennifer, Sarah Knudson and Mary Seeman. 2013. “Open Doors and Clear Boundaries: Mentorship in the Changing Context of Graduate Medical Education.” American Journal of Educational Research 1(1): 16-20.
- Knudson, Sarah. 2013. “Infidelity: Clinical Perspectives and the Broader Social Context.” Invited presentation at Psychiatry Rounds, University of Saskatchewan, May 3.
- Knudson, Sarah. 2011. "The Purchase of Enlightenment." Contexts 10(2): 66-67
- Knudson, Sarah. 2011. "What a Girl Wants, What a Girl Needs: Examining cultural change and ideas about gender equality in relationship self-help books, 1960-2009." In Reading Sociology: Canadian Perspectives (2nd Edition), edited by Lorne Tepperman and Angela Kalyta. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
- Knudson, Sarah. 2009. Review of "Coping with Distances: Producing Nordic Atlantic Sociieties," by Jørgen Ole Bærenholdt. Canadian Review of Sociology 47(2): 221-223.
- Park, Jungwee, and Sarah Knudson. 2007. "Medically unexplained physical symptoms," Health Reports Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-003 18(1), pp. 43-47.
- SOC 210.3 Families: Social Structure and Social Change
- SOC 211.3 Families: Gender Relations and Social Inequality
- SOC 340.3 Marriage, Family and Society
- STM Committee for the Minor in Critical Perspectives on Social Justice and the Common Good, Chair